Term 3 Week 4

Homework DUE this Friday, 9th August

Reading

Keep up that fantastic reading. I hope you’ve found something you really enjoy! If not, please let me know and I can help you come up with some ideas!

Remember to bring your signed Premier’s Reading Challenge form to me once you have completed a book so you can receive your $50 reward and add a sticker to our star chart.

Reading this week – please read at least 3 nights for at least 15 minutes and ask a parent to sign your diary.

Spelling

Morphemic Knowledge – What spelling generalisations or rules can you find that you believe will help you with spelling? Find at least 3 and explain why you need to know these rules and how they will help you. Include this in Evernote.

Maths

Invite a parent, sibling or friend to work through these open-ended problems with you. Remember, open-ended means there is more than one correct answer! Include your answer as a comment below.

1. Mrs. Phillpott is a cook for the Thornberry family. She usually makes a 2 kg roast for dinner on Thursdays. She knows that it takes 2 1/2 hours to cook this roast. Her boss is having a dinner party and she needs to make more food. She decides that she needs 6 kgs of meat. The problem is that she only has one oven and it will not hold a roast bigger than 4 kgs. How could she solve this problem? Answer in paragraph form.

2. A farmer grows 196 kg of potatoes. He sells them to a grocer who divides them into 5 kg and 2 kg bags. If the grocer uses the same number of 5 kg and 2 kg bags, how many bags of each does he use?

3. An object weighing 5 kg on Earth will weigh 2 kg on Mercury. The Statue of Liberty weighs 225 tonnes. What would it weigh on Mercury?

Inquiry

Answer the questions posed to you from last week’s blog inquiry task. 

19 thoughts on “Term 3 Week 4

1. When the word end with a short vowel followed by a consonant, double the last consonant then add the “ED”.
    I can use it when I’m doing narrative writing and using plurals.
    For words ending in a silent “E”,you must first the ‘e’ before adding a ‘y’.
    I could use this for spelling tests to improve on them.
    Prefixes can be added to base words to create new words. Prefixes ending in vowels are added directly to the base word.
    I could use this rule for doing all types of writing.

2. 1. Mrs. Phillpott can place 2 lots of 2kgs of meat at one time because the capacity of her oven is 4 kilos. These will take 2.5 hours to cook. Then she can cook another lot of 2kgs for 2.5 hours which will total of 5 hours of cooking time for 6kgs of meat.

2. The farmer has 196kgs of potatoes. To pack them in the same quantity of 5kg and 2kg bags, he can divide them up in to 28 x 5kg bags and 28 x 2kg bags. (5×28) + (2×28) = 196.

3. The Statue of Liberty weighs 225 tonnes on Earth which is 225,000 kgs. Since 5kgs on Earth weighs 2kgs on Mercury, that’s why 225,000 kgs will weigh 90,000 kgs. So the Statue of Liberty will weigh 90 tonnes on Mercury.

3. Rules:
    “i” before “e” except after “c”
    Nouns with vowels have an instead of “a”
    If the sound is “ay” the spelling is “ei”

4. 1. Mrs Phillpot could either cook a 4kg roast which will take 5hrs then after that cook the 2kg roast for 2.5hrs so the total cooking time is 7.5hrs or she could cook each 2kg roast for 2.5hrs each and this total cooking time will be 7.5hrs.
    2. The farmer can pack 28 bags of 5kg and 28 bags of 2kg which gives us a total of 196kg
    3. Statue of Liberty weighs 225,000kg divide by 5kg= 45,000kg x 2kg =90,000kg this is the weight in Mercury

5. 1. Mrs Phillpot could either cook a 4kg roast which will take 5hrs then after that cook the 2kg roast for 2.5hrs so the total cooking time is 7.5hrs or she could cook each 2kg roast for 2.5hrs each and this total cooking time will be 7.5hrs.
    Naomi B

6. Mrs philpott should cook 4kg of meat then 2kg so it only takes 5 hours.

The grocer used 28 2kg bags and 28 5kg bags what I did was add 2&5
    Then divide 196 by 7 which equalled 28 of each bag.

The Statue of Liberty would weigh 90 tons on mercury this is because on earth it weighs 225 tons there are 1000 kgs in a ton so multiply 225 by 1000 then divide by 5 and multiply by 2 to find out how much it would weigh on mercury.

7. Three useful spelling rules
    I before e except after c
    Dropping the final e
    Guide – Ance Guidance
    Dropping the final y to and I
    Party – Es parties

8. Mrs Phillpott could do 4 kg which takes 2 1/2 hours ( two and a half ) and then could do the 2kg left over so the total would be 5 hours.

The farmer needs 196 kg of potatoes. The grocer needs the potatoes in a 5 kg bag and a 2 kg bag. The farmer could do 28 x 5 kg + 28 x 2 kg and that totals up to 196 kg.

The state of liberty weighs 225 tonnes on Earth. Because an object weighs 5 kg on Earth and it weighs 2 kg on Mercury. The state of liberty would weigh 90 tonnes.

9. 1. Mrs Phillpot could cook a 2 3kg roast and that would cook for 5 hours to cook both.

2. If you add 5 and 2 it equals 7 so if you do 196 divided by 7 it equals 28.

3. If the Statue Of Liberaty was on Mercury and it weighed 225 tones on Earth it would way 88 tones on Mercury?

10. 1. 5 hours before cook a 4kg roast than cook a 2kg after the 4kg is done
    2. 28 bags each
    3.225 tonnes on earth 90 on mercury

11. Mrs Phillpott could invest in a slow cooker which would cost her aproximentely 40 dollars she could put 2kg of meat in the slow cooker and use the oven for the other 4kg.
    The grocer would have to use 28, 5kg bags and another 28 2kg bags.
    The way I worked this out was my first thought was that it would be 18 but I calculated them and it was to small of a number so I added an extra ten numbers and then I times them by 2 and 5 and I got the right answer.
    The Statue of Liberty ways 225,000 kg so you could divide 225,000 kg by five which would be 45,000 kg then you could times that by 2 which equals 90,000 kg or 90 tonnes.

12. I think that the answer is that she should put 4kg on and then put on the other 2kg, this would make 6kg and it will cook it all in 5 hours.

13. 2. I think that the man has to fill the bags 28 times because he has to fill 7kg worth of bags that makes 7×28=196 so 196/7=28.

3. 5/2=2.5 so the answer is 90 all together we worked it out by doing 225/2.5 and that equals 90.

14. 1 Mrs.phillpott can cook 9 2kg roast and a 4kg roast.
    2. 2+5=7 196 divide by 7 = 28.
    3. 225,000 times 1000 divide by 5 times 2= 90,000

15. 1 Mrs Phillpott can cook could cook two 3kg roasts for 3 hrs and 45 min
    each or substitute the roast for dog food which is already cooked therefore would not take any time besides opening the packets.

2. 2+5=7 196 divide by 7 = 28

3. 225 tonnes is 225,000 kg /5 = 45,000 kg x2 = 90,000kg or 90 tonnes

16. MATHS HOMEWORK TERM 3 WEEK 4

1. Mrs. Phillpott is a cook for the Thornberry family. She usually makes a 2 kg roast for dinner on Thursdays. She knows that it takes 2 1/2 hours to cook this roast. Her boss is having a dinner party and she needs to make more food. She decides that she needs 6 kgs of meat. The problem is that she only has one oven and it will not hold a roast bigger than 4 kgs. How could she solve this problem? Answer in paragraph form. She could put 4kg in for 5 hours and then put in the other 2kg for 2 1/2.

2. A farmer grows 196 kg of potatoes. He sells them to a grocer who divides them into 5 kg and 2 kg bags. If the grocer uses the same number of 5 kg and 2 kg bags, how many bags of each does he use? 196(divided by)5=39.2 so 39 bags and the other 2 can go into a 2kg bag. so 40 bags were used.

3. An object weighing 5 kg on Earth will weigh 2 kg on Mercury. The Statue of Liberty weighs 225 tonnes. What would it weigh on Mercury? It would way 90tonnes on mercury.

17. Spelling

Morphemic Knowledge – What spelling generalisations or rules can you find that you believe will help you with spelling? Find at least 3 and explain why you need to know these rules and how they will help you. I before E except after C, drop th Y add IES, E goes away when ING comes to stay or anyother suffix begining with a vowl.

18. Divide the 6 kilos into 2 kilos and 4 kilos, cook the first 2 kilos for 2 and a 1/2 hours then cook the 4 kilos for 5 hours and that would equal 7 and a 1/2 hours.

Divide the potatoes into 2 groups the first group totalling 56 kilos place 2 potatoes in separate bags – this will give a total of 28 bags. With the second group totalling 140 kilos place 5 potatoes in separate bags- this will give a total of 28 bags.

The Statue of Liberty would way 80 tones on mercury.